Costume Production Assistant – Sovereign Hill
|Closing date:||September 26, 2023|
|Salary:||Not supplied yet.|
|Contact name:||Felicity Wettenhall, 0353371100|
The Sovereign Hill Museums Association is a not-for profit community-based organisation that includes: Sovereign Hill Outdoor Museum, Sovereign Hill Hotel, AURA and Narmbool, the Australian Centre for Rare Trades and Arts and the Australian Centre for Gold Rush Collections. It cares for a nationally and internationally significant collection of over 150,000 objects and protects the tangible and intangible cultural heritage of the Victorian gold rush.
We are an Australian tourism icon that attracts some 500,000 visitors annually. The Outdoor Museum is internationally renowned as a living museum featuring rare trades, and programs and experiences that interpret a pivotal point in Australia’s history. In all, some 350 staff work to bring our gold-rush story to life. They are supported by over 250 volunteers.
About the role:
The Costume Production Assistant is responsible for assisting the Costume Department to support Sovereign Hill’s charter by providing services to produce and maintain Sovereign Hill’s period costumes and accessories, whilst working under the direction of the Costume Manager.
The role involves working closely alongside Key Stakeholders and within the Costume Department, to enhance the visitor experience, by maintaining the high standard of costume presentation. Tasks will include:
- Independently produce a specified range of advanced garments to required quality standards, including cutting, construction, fitting, finishing and quality control.
- Perform advanced level maintenance and repairs.
- Internal ordering and stock control.
- Assist with the supervision of interns and lower EBA Classification level staff.
- Conduct research and development of historical costumes, set in Victoria in the 1850’s.
- Safely and competently use sewing machines, rotary cutters and all other production equipment.
- Support the Costume Manager in outfitting staff, visitors and customers.
To be successful in the role, applicants will need to demonstrate prior experience in costume, dress making or in large volume clothing or textiles manufacturing. Tertiary qualifications in Applied Fashion Design and Technology is highly regarded. Additionally:
- Demonstrated ability in basic to advanced sewing techniques and machine operations including but not limited to straight sewing, overlocking, French and flat seams, pintucking, pleating, hemming, pressing, buttonholing and tailoring.
- Demonstrated ability to produce costume/garments and accessories to specification, with attention to detail.
- Demonstrated advanced pattern making skills.
- Excellent customer service, verbal and written communications skills.
- Must show initiative and accept responsibility of given tasks.
- This is a full time role with the expectation to work occasional weekends.
- Police Check
- Working with Children’s Check
- Eligible to work in Australia
Child Safety and Criminal History Checks – Sovereign Hill is committed to child safety. We want children to be safe, happy and empowered. We support and respect all children as well as our staff and volunteers. Our recruitment and selection processes ensures certain pre-employment screening and compliance clearances are undertaken before employment is offered.
If you apply for a role with Sovereign Hill you will be asked to make certain declarations regarding OHS, Child Safety and you will also be required to complete a National Police Check and attain a valid Working with Childrens’ Check.
Diversity and Inclusion – Sovereign Hill welcomes and encourages applications from diverse backgrounds and provides equal opportunities to all who wish to apply.
Applications for the role close at 11:59pm on Tuesday 26th September 2023.
The Council of Australasian Museum Directors cannot take responsibility for the accuracy of the information given in the Positions Vacant listings. Please click through to the website of the museum advertising the position to check details and seek updates.