A/Curator Aboriginal Interpretation Projects – SLM
|Closing date:||May 29, 2017|
|Institution:||Sydney Living Museums|
|Salary:||Assistant Curator Grade 2 - $87,997. Package includes salary ($71,438 - $79,384), employer's contribution to superannuation and annual leave loading.|
|Employment status:||Temporary full-time (up 31 December 2017)|
|Location :||Sydney Region-Sydney City|
|Contact name:||Beth Hise, 02 8239 2379|
|Contact email:||Not supplied yet.|
About the agency
Sydney Living Museums cares for 11 of the NSW most important historic houses, museums and their collections: Elizabeth Bay House, Elizabeth Farm, Hyde Park Barracks Museum, Justice & Police Museum, Meroogal, The Mint, Museum of Sydney, Rose Seidler House, Rouse Hill House & Farm, Susannah Place Museum and Vaucluse House. All are listed in the NSW State Heritage Register. The Museum of Sydney and the Hyde Park Barracks on the National Heritage list and the Hyde Park Barracks is on the UNESCO World Heritage List.
For more detailed information on the operations and activities of Sydney Living Museums click here.
About the role
This role develops and delivers curatorial content for interpretation projects, exhibitions, programs and digital outcomes to reach and attract wider audiences with a specific focus on the Aboriginal stories and cultural heritage of Sydney and SLM museums. This involves extensive community consultation and liaison, research, writing and otherwise capturing content as part of multidisciplinary project teams.
Applying for the role
To apply you will need to submit the following:
- A current resume with two referees
- A covering letter 1-2 pages in length
- And respond to the 2 targeted questions (no more than 20 lines per answer). Your responses to the targeted questions should be submitted online during your application and not included in the covering letter.
As a drivers’ licence is an essential requirement for this role you will be asked to provide a copy of your driving record if you are successful in proceeding to the interview stage.
Essential requirements the role holder needs:
- The role holder must be of Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander descent.
- Tertiary qualifications in history/museums studies/heritage interpretation or related field and experience working in a cultural, museums or heritage environment.
- Experience in researching, writing, developing and evaluating innovative and engaging interpretation projects in a cultural, museum or heritage environment.
- Ability in Aboriginal community consultation representing the needs and views of a broad range of stakeholders; together with an understanding on Aboriginal community groups in the Sydney area and Aboriginal perspectives on culture heritage and environment.
- Excellent communication skills with experience working in multidisciplinary teams.
- Strong organisational skills with strong attention to details and the ability to prioritise and meet competing deadlines.
- Current NSW driver’s licence.
For more information or to apply visit: JobsNSW.
The Council of Australasian Museum Directors cannot take responsibility for the accuracy of the information given in the Positions Vacant listings. Please click through to the website of the museum advertising the position to check details and seek updates.