Under general direction of the Assistant Registrar, Acquisitions, the Acquisitions Officer will lead the receipt, processing and stakeholder liaison for all new material entering the Australian War Memorial’s Collections. This work will include donations, purchases, commissions, cultural gifts, transfers, disposals and deaccessions. Other duties will include assessments, documentation, rehousing, transportation and dispersals of collection material.
Under general direction, coordinate acquisitions tasks including:
- Receiving and responding to donor enquiries, which involves assessment of items in accordance with policy, receipting items, accessioning, purchase evaluation and managing all the paperwork, including any legal paperwork.
- Provide excellent customer service to external stakeholders, particularly donors, explaining the Memorial’s donations policy clearly and with tact and sensitivity.
- Coordinate and liaise with curators, conservators and storage managers on assessments to ensure tasks are completed by them to allow the functions of the Acquisitions team to be progressed efficiently.
- Assist in the active management and maintenance of storage areas used for acquisitions and newly acquired collections including locations, rehousing and movements.
- Lead, assist and educate other National Collection Branch staff in acquisition policies and documentation process and procedures.
- Review and update workloads shared by the team to ensure KPIs continue to be met.
- Contribute to the review and updating of collection management policies and procedures to ensure the team is working to industry standard best practice.
- Take a leading role in documenting material on the collection management system to meet minimum standards, ensure descriptions are accurate and accessible, enter, edit and maintain data, report, and search and generate workflows.
- Contribute to the training and support of new staff.