The Museum of Applied Arts and Sciences sits at the intersection of the arts, design, science and technology and plays a critical role in engaging communities with contemporary ideas and issues. Established in 1879, the museum includes the Powerhouse Museum, Sydney Observatory and the Museums Discovery Centre. The Museum is custodian to over half a million objects of national and international significance and is considered one of the finest and most diverse collections in Australia.
The Powerhouse Program is one of the largest cultural infrastructure projects currently being undertaken in the country. The Program will transform and renew one of Australia’s oldest and most important cultural institutions and carry forward its legacy to reflect the changing needs of the contemporary communities of NSW. The Program includes four key projects: the establishment of the Powerhouse Precinct at Parramatta, the expansion of the Powerhouse collection facilities in Castle Hill, the establishment of the Powerhouse Creative Industries Precinct in Ultimo and the Relocation and Digitisation of over 300,000 objects from the Powerhouse collections.
As a Project Archivist, you will be part of a team assessing and documenting newly transferred archives and working on the assessment, documentation and preparation of the archives collection currently stored at Ultimo ahead of digitisation and relocation to the Museums Discovery Centre, Castle Hill.
- Assist with collection administration, documentation and cataloguing, processing, storage, movement and transport of objects, and creating and maintaining records
- Create collection management database records, and arrange and describe archival materials
- Assist with ensuring the safety, security, location control and maintenance of archives and objects in storage.
- Ensure adherence to a high level of archival management practice and procedures and a culture of optimal external and internal customer service.
For more information on this position, view the role description here.
The successful candidate
To be successful in this role you will have;
- Sound knowledge and experience in archival management including the arrangement and description of archival materials
- Strong IT skills and experience working with collection management databases
- Experience in the handling, packing, transport and storage of all types of archives materials
- Demonstrated understanding of risk management and disaster preparedness
- Experience in museum collection management & documentation is desirable but not mandatory
- Relevant degree in Archives, or an equivalent combination of relevant experience.
- Driver’s license is essential
For more information or to apply visit: JobsNSW.