The Australian War Memorial combines a shrine, a world-class museum, and an extensive archive. The Memorial’s purpose is to commemorate the sacrifice of those Australians who have died in war. Its mission is to assist Australians to remember, interpret and understand the Australian experience of war and its enduring impact on Australian society.
The Memorial’s Research Centre holds the written records of war, both published and unpublished. They manage and provide access to these collections, digitise and disseminate information about Australian military history, the Memorial and its collections. The Digitised Collections team contributes strongly to the Memorial’s research and information dissemination activities through the curation, digitisation, online publishing and promotion of Research Centres digitised archival collections, and is a major contributor to the Memorials public programs, exhibitions and projects. The work of the Digitised Collection team supports the Memorial’s aims of helping Australians understand our wartime experience and provides support as necessary for other priorities in the Research Centre and the Memorial’s corporate plan.
This position directly supports the Memorial’s major digitisation projects, the Memorial’s major re-development project and the ongoing commitment to collection digitisation. Under general direction, the Assistant Curator works on the preservation, digitisation and documentation of the Memorial’s archival collection and assists with the delivery of digitised content. The work involves working with archival collections and understanding archival principles, preparation of collections for digitisation, arrangement and description of archival records, quality checking captured images, rehousing collection material, documenting and researching collections using a range of Collection Management System (CMS) and Digital Asset Management System (DAMs) databases and liaising with staff, internal and external clients.
- Research and prepare correspondence relating to the digitisation of collections, including copyright and collection management system amendments.
- Arrange, describe, catalogue, and research collection material, including documentation of collections to archival standards and copyright, using a variety of collection management systems.
- Quality checking, data clean up and use of a variety of collection management systems
- Undertake record keeping and produce statistical reports
- Assist with the management and co-ordination of the digitisation of archival material for major projects, preservation, exhibitions, loans, publication and internal and external client requests.
- Assist with preparation and ongoing support of major digitisation projects.
- Assist in developing solutions for access and online display of digitised collections.Participate in the development and delivery of activities that promote the Research Centre and its collections in a variety of mediums.
- Work within the legislative framework for managing archival collections including, but not limited to the Australian War Memorial Act, Archives Act and the Copyright Act.
- Perform and advise team members of rehousing collection techniques for ongoing preservation
- Perform and advise team members of correct handling techniques for a variety of collection material to minimise the risk of damage to the collection.
- May include rostered hours within the standard ordinary working hours.
For more information and to apply please refer to https://www.awm.gov.au/get-involved/work-or-volunteer/employment