The Museum of Applied Arts and Sciences (MAAS) is an executive agency of the New South Wales State Government. Embodying the best of design ingenuity and innovation, the Museum profiles one of the world’s great collections and is a highly successful interdisciplinary institution that sits at the intersection of the arts, design, science and technology and plays a critical role in supporting the brand and vision of the city. Access to the Museum’s exceptional collection is a cornerstone of the vision, opening up opportunities for engagement, participation and research.
MAAS currently operates three sites, the Powerhouse Museum in Ultimo, Sydney Observatory in Millers Point and Museums Discovery Centre in Castle Hill. In April 2018, the NSW Government announced the largest investment in museum infrastructure in Australia’s history, which will enable MAAS to expand its operations, and will ensure the Museum and its collection remain a critical part of our local and global communities for centuries to come.
We are currently seeking an Assistant Registrar (Grade 2) to join our team primarily based in the Museums Discovery Centre in Castle Hill. In this role you will implement Museum policies, processes and procedures encompassing collection storage and logistics, including large-object logistics, documentation, collection administration, and preventive conservation, as well as loans, exhibitions and archives management.
Day to day, you will assist with collection administration, storage and logistics including large object logistics, documentation and exhibitions, and archives management, ensuring optimal internal and external access to the collections. This includes assisting with relevant operational planning processes and policy development and contributing to the implementation of the Museum’s strategic plan, ensuring statutory and legislative requirements are adhered to and effective risk management procedures are in place .
The successful candidate
To be successful in this role you will have:
- A sound knowledge and experience in museum collection management and documentation.
- Experience in the handling, packing, transport and storage of all types of museum objects, to professional museum level, and sound knowledge of national and international freight procedures. Experience with large object logistics and storage would be an advantage.
- Excellent organisational and administrative skills and attention to detail.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and as a member of a team.
- Knowledge and experience of collection information systems, barcoding and digital photography.
- Demonstrated understanding of risk management, integrated pest management and emergency preparedness.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to prepare high quality documentation and reports.
- Ability to prioritise and balance responsibilities and meet project deadlines.
- The position requires a relevant degree or qualifications or equivalent experience.
- Driver’s Licence is essential.
- Forklift licence is essential
- Medium Rigid truck licence is desirable
For more information or to apply visit: JobsNSW.