Tamaki Paenga Hira: Tui tui hono tangata, whenua me te moana.
Ko Tamaki Paenga Hira, hewaengarahi ake, he ngakau mahaki mo te kaitiakitanga taonga pu korero, pakiwaitara, korero tipua ano hoki mai i nga kai para korero.
Auckland Museum is a much-loved organisation at the centre of Auckland’s identity, committed to outstanding management of its extensive collections and the permanent and volunteer staff who tell the Museum’s stories.
An interesting opportunity exists for a highly motivated Collection Technician to join the Relocations team at Auckland Museum on a 10 month fixed term basis at an exciting time of redevelopment and renewal.
The role of Collection Technician – Relocations is focused on delivering the programme of works to decant and relocate collections from the collection stores and exhibition gallery spaces. This project will enable the Future Museum Phase I programme of gallery renewal and major building upgrade works currently underway. These works will support a wide range of future programmes which are the basis of the Museum’s revised onsite, offsite and online programmes anticipated by Future Museum.
On a daily basis the Collection Technician – Relocations will be handling, packing or re-housing objects, working alongside Conservators or Curators to develop and implement appropriate mounting and packing standards, reorganising stores or entering accurate location information into the specialised database.
The Collection Technician – Relocations position is a unique opportunity for candidates with applied arts and collection management skills to be involved in a major museum redevelopment programme within a leading cultural icon.
To be successful in this fixed term role, you will offer;
- A sound understanding of packing and handling diverse collection objects for open storage is essential
- 1-2 years relevant museum experience with good overall understanding of collection management disciplines, with Vernon database experience a strong advantage
- Practical knowledge of fabrication techniques, crate and pallet making experience is desirable
- Evidence of ability to work collaboratively and in cross-functional teams
- Empathy for bringing the Museum alive, being part of its team, and a well-developed sense of public/community accountability
- Awareness of and experience working with sensitive cultural material in relation to museum collections, especially knowledge of Tikanga Maori
- Proven effective written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills (including tact, discretion, flexibility and confidentiality)
To apply for this job, please apply online or go to our job site http://careers.aucklandmuseum.com and enter the job code 11852.
You must be eligible to currently work in New Zealand to apply for this fixed term position.
This is a great opportunity for candidates looking to be part of a fabulous New Zealand organisation committed to telling our national and Auckland stories and reflecting our unique place in the South Pacific.