Curator, Indigenous Programs – ANMM
|Closing date:||January 28, 2022|
|Institution:||Australian National Maritime Museum|
|Salary:||$74,325 to $84,288|
|Employment status:||18 months full-time, fixed term contract with possibility of extension/ongoing|
|Location :||Pyrmont NSW|
|Contact name:||People and Culture, 92983647|
The key duties of the position include:
Reporting to the Manager, Indigenous Programs this position will support the operation of the Museum’s Indigenous initiatives. You will engage with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander groups and communities across Australia to deliver Indigenous-specific projects, programs and exhibitions. The position will focus on establishing and documenting appropriate cultural protocols, rights and permissions, and providing research and interpretation work for exhibitions, activities and publications, including digital and social media outputs. Based within the Knowledge team, this role includes liaison and collaboration with all sections to embed Indigenous knowledge’s and cultural perspectives across the Museum.
Your key responsibilities will include:
- Assist in delivering the Museum’s outreach, collection, documentation, interpretation and exhibition activities involving Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander experiences, knowledge’s and cultural expressions.
- Ensure that the Museum’s collections and exhibitions are developed with all appropriate consultation protocols and processes, to faithfully embed Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander knowledge and learning systems.
- Research and publish accounts of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander cultures, experiences and technologies in scholarly, public and specialist forums.
- Support the Manager, Indigenous Programs in liaising and collaborating with other First Nations peoples internationally, in support of the Museum’s projects and programs.
- Engage stakeholders and audiences through innovative exhibitions and emerging technologies to share the contribution of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples to our country’s maritime cultures.
- Prepare proposals and advise on submissions for Indigenous accessions into the National Maritime Collection, including both physical and digital materials, in line with the Museum’s Collection Development Policy, priority collection focus areas, and Protection of Cultural Objects on Loan (PCOL) protocols.
- Liaise with sections across the Museum to ensure that Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander cultural perspectives and knowledge’s are incorporated into all of the Museum’s internal and external activities.
- Represent the Museum in public forums, media opportunities, conferences, cultural institutions networks and Indigenous communities.
- Liaise effectively with all Museum sections to ensure the smooth running of educational programs, community events, conferences, acquisitions and the Museum’s Reconciliation Action Plan.
Ideal applicants will have:
- Demonstrated understanding of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander experiences and cultures, including historical and current-day issues.
- Demonstrated knowledge of best practice relating to Indigenous engagement in the galleries, libraries, archives and museums sector.
- Familiarity with a diverse range of historical and contemporary forms of Indigenous cultural expression, including storytelling, performance and visual arts.
- Experience in the acquisition, curation and display of Indigenous experiences, knowledge’s and cultural expressions.
- Public engagement skills and experience in media, conferences, presentations and/or digital outreach.
- Proven experience in meeting project deadlines, operating within budget constraints and working across multiple diverse projects simultaneously.
- Demonstrated knowledge of the Reconciliation Action Plan process.
For more information or to apply visit: APSJobs.
The Council of Australasian Museum Directors cannot take responsibility for the accuracy of the information given in the Positions Vacant listings. Please click through to the website of the museum advertising the position to check details and seek updates.