Are you an experienced exhibition designer and team leader? Do you want to work at Te Papa, New Zealand’s national museum?
- You’ll lead Te Papa’s Design Team of spatial and graphic designers – key players in developing engaging, participatory exhibitions that meet the needs of diverse audiences.
- You’ll be responsible for the museum’s design standards, principles, and processes, and for assuring the quality of design outputs in exhibitions and associated experiences – spatial, physical, and digital.
- You’ll work as an exhibition designer on some projects.
In recruiting for this position, a key focus will be your vision for how design can represent Te Papa’s bicultural identity.
Who are you?
- You’re a positive, proactive senior-level designer, combining big-picture creativity with an appreciation of detail.
- You’re an experienced people manager, and enjoy leading and supporting a team.
- You’re confident, diplomatic, and calm, and can collaborate effectively with a wide range of people.
As a designer, you have:
- strong experience in exhibition design, in museums/galleries or a comparable environment
- a keen interest in Māori design, with a vision for embedding this within Te Papa’s design identity and practices
- an understanding of narrative-based, participatory exhibitions, and design across disciplines and media
knowledge of sustainability, accessibility, and durability principles
- an ability to assess project priorities, scope effort effectively, and approach constraints as creative opportunities.
This permanent, full-time position sits in the Audience and Insight Directorate, and reports to the Head of Experience Design and Content.
Te Papa is New Zealand’s national museum, renowned for being bicultural, research-driven, innovative, and fun. Our success is built on our relationships and our ability to represent our communities. Biculturalism, mana taonga, and learning are at our core.
For more information and to apply, see the job page on Te Papa’s recruitment site.