Museums Victoria is seeking a Curator, to provide curatorial support for the forthcoming exhibition at the Immigration Museum on Love. The exhibition is a collaboration between Museums Victoria and Heide Museum of Modern Art.
ABOUT MUSEUM VICTORIA:
Museums Victoria cares for the State scientific and cultural collections, providing visitor access, activities and events at five distinct venues: Melbourne Museum, Immigration Museum, Scienceworks, IMAX Cinema and world heritage listed Royal Exhibition Building. To learn more about Museums Victoria, please visit http://museumvictoria.com.au/about/
ABOUT THE POSITION:
The position is accountable for completing a range of research, collection and interpretation tasks, in order to develop and produce storylines, object and audio visual content, texts, and multimedia elements, and to build community networks both online and in the field.
Key Selection Criteria:
- Demonstrated research experience in a relevant discipline and/or relevant knowledge in one or more of the following fields is essential: Australian Social History; Migration History; Public History; Material Culture.
- Demonstrated experience in contemporary museum collection management practices, including the use of a museum collection management database (such as Emu) and appropriate handling and use of object-based collections.
- Sound communication and interpersonal skills – particularly the ability to engage with community groups and individuals, write for a public audience and represent the Museum to the wider community.
- Experience in developing interpretive products for diverse public audiences (such as exhibitions, multimedia installations, websites) is desirable.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively both in a team and as an individual, and sound time-management skills.
- The incumbent must be willing to undergo, and for new employees meet the cost of, a National Police Records Check and be assessed as suitable
To view the position description, search ‘employment’ at www.museumvictoria.com.au.