Exhibition Designer – MAAS
|Closing date:||July 4, 2021|
|Institution:||Museum of Applied Arts and Sciences|
|Salary:||Salary Package up to $104,554. Package includes salary ($85,744 – $94,610), employer’s contribution to superannuation and annual leave loading|
|Location :||Sydney Region / Sydney - Inner West|
|Contact name:||Joanne Delzoppo, 02 9217 04239|
|Contact email:||Not supplied yet.|
The Museum of Applied Arts and Sciences sits at the intersection of the arts, design, science and technology and plays a critical role in engaging communities with contemporary ideas and issues. Established in 1879, the museum includes the Powerhouse Museum, Sydney Observatory and the Museums Discovery Centre. The Museum is custodian to over half a million objects of national and international significance and is considered one of the finest and most diverse collections in Australia.
The Powerhouse Program is one of the largest cultural infrastructure projects currently being undertaken in the country. The Program will transform and renew one of Australia’s oldest and most important cultural institutions and carry forward its legacy to reflect the changing needs of the contemporary communities of NSW. The Program includes four key projects; the establishment of the Powerhouse Precinct at Parramatta, the expansion of the Powerhouse collection facilities in Castle Hill, the establishment of the Powerhouse Creative Industries Precinct in Ultimo and the Relocation and Digitisation of over 300,000 objects from the Powerhouse collections.
As the Exhibition Designer, you will be responsible for the design, planning and production of exhibitions, displays, major installations, visible collection storage, permanent galleries, and event and experiential design projects.
Day-to-day, you will:
- Develop design concepts in accordance with project briefs.
- Prepare and present detailed design and drawing specifications in accordance with relevant codes.
- Resolve the design integration of exhibition elements, such as graphics, objects, multimedia, lighting, interactives, to ensure the design is appropriate for the display of objects and addresses different audience needs.
- Design graphics, signage and display panels, including design and layout of text and images, to enable the development of creative and effective displays.
- Oversee contractors engaged in the production and installation of exhibitions and displays.
- Install and dismantle exhibitions and displays as required.
The successful candidate
To be successful in this role you will have;
- A tertiary degree in an applied architectural, interior or industrial design field and/or experience deemed equivalent
- Demonstrated experience in exhibition design or related interior architectural design and construction with knowledge of relevant Australian Standards and sections of the Building Code of Australia.
- Well-developed knowledge of exhibition design and all facets of presentation including audience experience, interpretative techniques, display of original collection materials and production mythologies.
- High-level written, oral communication and organisational skills; project management skills; IT literate including VectorWorks and/or AutoCAD.
For more information or to apply visit: JobsNSW.
The Council of Australasian Museum Directors cannot take responsibility for the accuracy of the information given in the Positions Vacant listings. Please click through to the website of the museum advertising the position to check details and seek updates.