Facebooking your next holiday?
Source: Science Daily.
VisitBritain charts how social media leads tourists to Britain, NMDC Newsletter, December 2015
VisitBritain has carried out research in the US, Germany, India and South Korea to discover the impact of social media on the decision to holiday in the UK. It found that:
- Facebook has the greatest impact on holiday planning, and is therefore the most important platform to target.
- 67% of tourists said they used social media while on holiday, with Twitter being the most popular medium.
- People are more likely to be influenced to visit the UK if they see holiday pictures of friends on social media. They are also more interested in reviews by other holiday makers in their decision making than by professionally produced content. 76% read destination reviews as part of holiday planning.
- Tourists are least likely to be engaged by social media competitions, and most attracted to having their ow content retweeted or republished by a professional body.
- Offering free wifi at a hotel, restaurant or tourist attraction is an important factor in persuading people to visit – with 73% saying this is important at tourist attractions.