The Sovereign Hill Museums Association is a Ballarat-based not-for-profit organisation that uses our history to inspire future generations to adapt for a better future through the work we deliver at Sovereign Hill Outdoor Museum, Narmbool farm and the soon to open Australian Centre for Rare Arts and Trades and Australian Centre for Gold Rush Collections.
Sovereign Hill Museums care for more than 150,000 objects, with a nationally and internationally significant collection reflective of the Victorian gold rushes and their impact. With over 110,000 student visits and an overall visitation of more than 530,000 a year, Sovereign Hill is one of Australia’s most significant museums. This is a unique and exciting opportunity for an experienced museum professional to be part of an ambitious Master Plan that re-centres and elevates our collections and our stories. This role will lead the development of the new Australian Centre for Gold Rush Collections and will play a significant role in shaping the Australian Centre for Rare Arts and Forgotten Trades and other significant Master Plan projects. This is a leadership role with enormous potential for impact in helping shape the transformation of a major cultural institution at the heart of Australia’s story.
The Head of Collections and Curatorial leads a department with the primary purpose to collect, conserve, research, and interpret the significance of the Victorian gold rush and the changes wrought by it in Ballarat’s social, cultural, economic, political and technological heritage. The team cares for a collection of more than 150,000 objects, including many objects of national and international significance.
The Successful applicants must have:
- A minimum of 5 years of experience in museum management or a related field is essential
- Demonstrated commitment to and understanding of the role of museums in preserving tangible and intangible cultural heritage and communicating the significance of this to the wider community through effective public programming
- Sound knowledge of general museum practice, including collection development, collection management, preventative conservation, administration of loans, exhibition development, design, and installation, and related museum policies and procedures
- High-level written and oral communication skills including public speaking
- High-level computer skills in Microsoft Office programs and museum database programs Vernon CMS, Inmagic DB/Textworks, KE Emu, or similar
- Excellent organisational skills and proven ability to manage a range of projects simultaneously and to balance priorities
- Capacity to show initiative and provide creative solutions to practical problems
- Ability to manage staff, interns and volunteers
- Sound knowledge of OHS standards in the workplace
Qualifications and Checks
- Tertiary qualifications in History, Museum Studies, Cultural Heritage Studies, Archaeology, Material Culture or similar fields is essential
- Employee Working with Children check
- Police check
- Current First Aid Certificate
Sovereign Hill welcomes, encourages and endorses applications from diverse backgrounds and provides equal opportunities to all who wish to apply.
Please apply through the Sovereign Hill Careers webpage at https://sovereignhill.com.au/careers