About the agency
Sydney Living Museums cares for 12 of the NSW most important historic houses, museums and their collections: Elizabeth Bay House, Elizabeth Farm, Government House, Hyde Park Barracks Museum, Justice & Police Museum, Meroogal, The Mint, Museum of Sydney, Rose Seidler House, Rouse Hill House & Farm, Susannah Place Museum and Vaucluse House. All are listed in the NSW State Heritage Register. The Museum of Sydney and the Hyde Park Barracks on the National Heritage list and the Hyde Park Barracks is on the UNESCO World Heritage List.
For more detailed information on the operations and activities of Sydney Living Museums click here.
About the role
The Head of House Museums Portfolio manages a diverse portfolio of sites, buildings and collections to ensure their sustainability, conservation and interpretation, and use in accordance with the Historic Houses Trust Act 1980.
The role ensures the highest standards of customer service, programs and visitor experiences, heritage conservation, site management and presentation, and identifies and implements strategies which generate revenue and maximise accessibility and participation across the sites.
Applying for the role
To apply you will need to submit the following:
- A current resume with two referees
- A covering letter 1-2 pages in length
- And respond to the 2 targeted questions (no more than 20 lines per answer). Your responses to the targeted questions should be submitted online during your application and not included in the covering letter.
- Tell us about an experience where you have balanced the everyday operations, a multi-disciplinary team and site/s in the heritage/museum environment with the strategic planning and delivery of a major event or project with budget and time constraints. What strategies have you used to influence and negotiate successful outcomes?
- Please provide an example of how you balance visitor expectations and revenue-generation pressures in a museum/heritage setting and in keeping with your institution’s mission? What were the challenges and opportunities? What leadership skills did you demonstrate in managing and motivating a diverse team?
Please note: New employment legislation will apply from 24th February 2014. From this date, all current and new Public Service non-executive employees will be employed at a classification level and assigned to a role rather than appointed to a position. Employees may be re-assigned to other roles at the same classification over time, in line with organisation priorities and/or personal development plans.