About the agency
Sydney Living Museums cares for 11 of the NSW most important historic houses, museums and their collections: Elizabeth Bay House, Elizabeth Farm, Hyde Park Barracks Museum, Justice & Police Museum, Meroogal, The Mint, Museum of Sydney, Rose Seidler House, Rouse Hill House & Farm, Susannah Place Museum and Vaucluse House. All are listed in the NSW State Heritage Register. The Museum of Sydney and the Hyde Park Barracks on the National Heritage list and the Hyde Park Barracks is on the UNESCO World Heritage List.
For more detailed information on the operations and activities of Sydney Living Museums click here.
About the role
The Horticulturist role supports the conservation and maintenance of the gardens and grounds across Sydney Living Museums’ sites and Heritage & Collections Division projects to conserve; develop and present these gardens and landscapes to the highest standards for the access, interpretation, enjoyment and education of visitors in accordance with the philosophies and corporate plan of Sydney Living Museums.
Please note Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people are encouraged to apply.
To be eligible for an ongoing role in the NSW Public Sector you need to be an Australian Citizen or Permanent Resident. For temporary and casual roles you need to be an Australian Citizen or Permanent Resident or hold a valid visa giving you permission to work in Australia as required by the role.
Essential requirements the role holder needs:
- Appropriate trade qualifications and 2 – 3 years post-qualification work experience in a public garden with high presentation and horticultural standards.
- TAFE qualifications in Horticulture and/or equivalent.
- Comprehensive knowledge and proven experience in pest and weed control, including safe use and application of hazardous chemicals.
- Demonstrated experience in a wide range of horticultural duties including arboriculture, soft and hard landscaping incorporating gardening practices, techniques and rationale, plant recognition, cultivation and propagation and turf culture.
- Demonstrated ability to safely use, maintain and make minor repairs to electrical, mechanical and other gardening equipment.
- Possession of a valid NSW driver’s licence with the licence to operate manual vehicles.
- Possession of a Bobcat/Skid Steer Loader competency ticket/licence.
- Knowledge and implementation of Workplace Health and Safety and safe manual handling practices.
- Ability to manage lifting, carrying, standing, kneeling and moving around heritage sites, both internal and external environments is a genuine workplace requirement.
For more information or to apply visit: JobsNSW.