National Conference of Oral History
National Conference of Oral History Australia (9-12 September, Perth)
The National Conference of Oral History Australia is to be held in Perth on 9-12 September 2015 at State Library of Western Australia.
The major theme of the conference is the changes in technology and their impact on the recording and application of oral history. The conference has a number of supporting themes as follows:
- Capturing memory and the recording of history.
- Recording the history of disasters – and the right time to interview survivors.
- The relationship between history and therapy – including consideration of trauma, dementia and dealing with terminal illness as well as training and preparation and counselling of the interviewer.
- The uses of history – including oral history, in museum displays, performance, plays, theatre, radio, the internet, cinema and television.
- Technology and oral history – including providing access via websites, the ethical dimensions of accessibility, plagiarism and the protection of intellectual property.
- Digital technology and current ‘state of the art’ equipment.
- Community and indigenous oral history projects.