About the team
Questacon – The National Science and Technology Centre has a vision for a better future for all Australians through engagement with science, technology and innovation. We work with partners and supporters to deliver inspirational learning experiences for young Australians, their teachers, families and communities.
For over 30 years the Questacon Science Circus has been a flagship national touring program visiting regional and remote communities. To this day the founding partners of Questacon and The Australian National University continue to deliver the program which blends the development of the next generation of science communication professionals alongside the delivery of science engagement activities to students, educators and communities across Australia.
About the Position
The National Programs Manager (Science Circus) reports to the Senior Manager National Programs and leads the Science Circus Team to plan, develop, refine and deliver skill development training for Master of Science Communication Outreach students from the Australian National Centre for the Public Awareness of Science and associated science engagement activities for broad audiences.
The Questacon Science Circus will be providing in-person and digital experiences to students, educators and communities across Australia.
The National Programs Manager (Science Circus) will work with the Senior Manager National Programs and other managers in the section to deliver an integrated program of activities, stakeholder engagement and professional liaison and representation, which will encourage young Australians and their families to engage with science, technology and innovation. This integrated program is part of Questacon’s National Presence Strategy.
Our ideal candidate
A high-performing program manager with prior experience at or equivalent to EL1 level, who is knowledgeable and well-connected in science communication/engagement/education and national travelling programs. The successful candidate will be a collaborative leader who is able to anticipate and plan for operational resourcing and strategic needs within the program, seeks to constantly improve on the work we are doing, is an excellent manager of passionate people who is themselves passionate about building the capacity of others, and can rapidly build and maintain a skilled, professional, collaborative and safe team culture that performs highly within a wider organisational context. They will be organised, capable of seeing and communicating the big picture, and able to manage conflicting deadlines and stakeholder interests.
The successful candidate will have:
- Tertiary qualifications, or equivalent experience, in education, STEM or science communication, and experience in relevant professional positions at an equivalent level.
- Demonstrated strong leadership and people management skills with the high-level capacity to inspire, motivate and manage staff and stakeholders.
- Highly developed program management skills, able to effectively manage competing priorities and strategic directions in the delivery of project outcomes.
- Excellent interpersonal and written communication skills including in reporting and representation.
- Strategic thinking, creative thinking, and complex problem-solving skills.
- Experience in engagement and collaboration with stakeholders across government, academia, and business.
- Relevant experience in STEM education, training or engagement programs, and/or related fields.
- Experience in financial, procurement, WHS, and risk processes.
What you will do
- Work collaboratively with The Australian National University Australian National Centre for the Public Awareness of Science to ensure the academic and delivery outcomes of the program are met for 2021 and beyond.
- Oversee project management, budgets, ASL, recruitment, training, WHS risk, and reporting.
- Lead a high-performing small team of full-time staff that is required to spend significant periods of time in regional and remote regions of Australia delivering science engagement activities.
- Manage the quality control of activities to ensure appropriate and accurate scientific and educational information.
- Explore opportunities for the team to work with stakeholders across Australia and maintain these relationships.
- Work collaboratively with the other managers within the National Programs section to meet the outcomes of Questacon’s National Presence Strategy and to contribute to the activities and strategic direction of the section.
- Be proactive in working collaboratively with the other managers across Questacon to support and ensure the strategic goals of Questacon are met.
For more information or to apply visit: