The Australian War Memorial combines a shrine, a world-class museum, and an extensive archive. The Memorial’s purpose is to commemorate the sacrifice of those Australians who have died in war or on operational service and those who have served our nation in times of conflict. Its mission is to lead remembrance and understanding of Australia’s wartime experience.
The Memorial’s Research Centre holds the written records of war, both published and unpublished. They manage and provide access to these collections, digitise archival collections and deliver reference and information services about Australian military history, the Memorial and its collections. The Research Centre’s Information Services team contributes strongly to the Memorial’s research and information dissemination activities through the reference enquiry services, Digitisation on Demand service, and contributions to public programs, exhibitions and projects. The work of the Information Services team supports the Memorial’s aims of helping Australians understand our wartime experience.
The Online Reference Manager is responsible for the management and development of reference and information services, particularly digital, to internal and external clients of the Research Centre. They promote the Research Centre collections and services through public talks, both onsite and offsite, and tours of the Research Centre. The Online Reference Manager provides leadership in achieving team goals and offers advice and support to the Manager Information Services.
The key duties of the position include:
- Provide leadership in the delivery of reference and information services, training and mentoring staff to ensure the delivery of high quality reference services in a multi-facetted reference environment.
- Manage the development of research tools and sources to encourage and support digital and information literacy in the community.
- Manage reference correspondence systems, evaluating, researching and developing them to ensure the systems continue to effectively support reference services.
- Manage the Family History Area volunteer service, recruiting and training volunteers to ensure they offer a consistent high quality customer service.
- Delivery of reference and information services, by participating in the reference roster, responding to high level correspondence and developing client programs.
- Devise and implement policies, strategies, systems and standards for the provision of information and reference services in the Research Centre’s reading room and for offsite clients.
- Promotion of Research Centre collections and services to contribute to the community’s understanding of Australia’s wartime experience.
- Includes rostered hours within the standard ordinary hours
- Some out of hours work
For more information or to apply visit APSJobs.