Philanthropic support for advocacy
Making the Case for Philanthropic Support for Advocacy, Philanthropy Australia, February 2018
Funding policy advocacy involves working to achieve change in a particular cause area by seeking to influence public policy – including laws, regulations and government practices. It can be a very effective way to address the complex social and environmental challenges we confront.
For this reason there is a growing impetus for philanthropy to fund policy advocacy, something very evident at the Philanthropy Meets Parliament Summit in September 2017, which had a strong focus on policy advocacy.
To build on this momentum, Philanthropy Australia has produced ‘The Power of Advocacy’, a useful resource for philanthropic organisations interested in learning more about funding policy advocacy.
- Explains what policy advocacy is
- Outlines the rationale for philanthropy funding policy advocacy
- Sets out the law regarding funding policy advocacy
- Addresses some misconceptions, and
- Presents eight case studies of philanthropy funding policy advocacy
Download a copy of The Power of Advocacy report here.