Tamaki Paenga Hira: Tui tui hono tangata, whenua me te moana.
Ko Tamaki Paenga Hira, hewaengarahi ake, he ngakau mahaki mo te kaitiakitanga taonga pu korero, pakiwaitara, korero tipua ano hoki mai i nga kai para korero.
Auckland Museum is a much-loved organisation at the centre of Auckland’s identity, committed to developing and sharing engaging content through its galleries, exhibition, events and educational programmes.
The Project Curator – Pacific will work across key aspects of the museum’s current business within scope of the Phase One Gallery Renewal Programme, with a focus on gallery renewal and redevelopment. Reporting to the Curator Pacific, this is an amazing opportunity for an experienced curator passionate about working with Pacific collections to identify and build relationships with Pacific communities and academic partners in order to develop and deliver concept and content of new galleries, and build collections knowledge.
Please note this is a fixed term contract position, requiring full-time hours, working through to July 2020.
To be successful in this role, you will have:
- Relevant postgraduate qualifications or equivalent experience in a relevant field.
- Demonstrated experience and knowledge of Pacific collections.
- Experience in museum exhibition development.
- Proactive awareness and engagement with a wide range of cultures and associated protocol and traditions within Auckland, with particular reference to the Maori Dimension (He Korahi Maori) and Pacific Dimension (Teu le Va)
- Demonstrated understanding and commitment to Pacific objects and their interpretive value, and as a core resource for communities and for museum activities.
- Written and oral Pacific language fluency preferred.
- Evidence of strong networks with the Pacific community at local, national and international levels.
- Demonstrated knowledge of best practice in collection care and development relating to Pacific collections.
To apply for this job, please apply online or go to our job site http://careers.aucklandmuseum.com and enter the job code 11412.
You must be eligible to work in New Zealand to apply for this fixed term position.
This is a great opportunity for someone looking to be part of a fabulous New Zealand organisation committed to telling our national and Auckland stories and reflecting our unique place in the South Pacific.