Registrar Grade 1, Acquisitions – MAAS
|Closing date:||April 11, 2021|
|Institution:||Museum of Applied Arts and Sciences|
|Salary:||$115,872. Package includes salary ($87,431 - $104,539), employer's contribution to superannuation and annual leave loading|
|Location :||Sydney Region / Sydney - Inner West|
|Contact name:||Julia Mackay|
The Museum of Applied Arts and Sciences sits at the intersection of the arts, design, science and technology and plays a critical role in engaging communities with contemporary ideas and issues. Established in 1879, the museum includes the Powerhouse Museum, Sydney Observatory and the Museums Discovery Centre. The Museum is custodian to over half a million objects of national and international significance and is considered one of the finest and most diverse collections in Australia.
The Powerhouse Program is one of the largest cultural infrastructure projects currently being undertaken in the country. The Program will transform and renew one of Australia’s oldest and most important cultural institutions and carry forward its legacy to reflect the changing needs of the contemporary communities of NSW. The Program includes four key projects: the establishment of the Powerhouse Precinct at Parramatta, the expansion of the Powerhouse collection facilities in Castle Hill, the establishment of the Powerhouse Creative Industries Precinct in Ultimo and the Relocation and Digitisation of over 300,000 objects from the Powerhouse collections.
The Registration unit manages the Museum’s collection and collection-based information according to professional museum standards, and NSW regulatory requirements, including documentation, processing, access, inward and outward loans, storage, movement and transport of objects, and creating and maintaining records for these.
This role implements Museum policies, processes and procedures encompassing inward and outward loan management, collection administration, stores and logistics, documentation and exhibitions, archives management.
What will it take?
We are looking for someone to join the team with the following attributes:
- The position requires a relevant degree or appropriate qualifications. Relevant post-graduate qualifications are also desirable.
- Sound knowledge and experience in museum collection management and documentation, including accessions and deaccessions, loans and exhibition processes.
- Experience in the handling, packing, transport and storage of all types of museum objects, to professional museum level, and knowledge of national and international freight procedures
- Knowledge and experience of collection information systems, barcoding and digital photography, including solution development and implementation.
- Demonstrated understanding of risk management and disaster preparedness.
- Driver’s License is essential.
For more information or to apply visit: JobsNSW.
The Council of Australasian Museum Directors cannot take responsibility for the accuracy of the information given in the Positions Vacant listings. Please click through to the website of the museum advertising the position to check details and seek updates.