You will lead a team of scientists and technical staff to undertake original research and acquire collections of marine invertebrates (other than hexacorals), supervise collection management staff, and contribute to the development of innovative public programs and exhibitions in accordance with the strategic priorities of the Queensland Museum Network (QMN). The role will also act as the Science Leader at MTQ with responsibilities for other curatorial and collection management staff.
- Lead the delivery of the work team to meet brand, vision and strategic and operational plan objectives.
- Manage, mentor, coach and train direct reports (including volunteers), which includes a Science Leadership role for the curatorial and collection management staff based at MTQ.
- Manage an agreed area of the Biodiversity & Geosciences Program efficiently and effectively to meet program and institutional objectives
- Conduct original research in a specialist subject area within the priority themes of the Queensland Museum leading to internationally recognised peer-reviewed publications, popular publications and other media.
- Seek external research funding to provide research outcomes consistent with Queensland Museum strategic directions.
- Oversee and supervise staff in the identification sorting, assessment and accessioning of Biodiversity items to specialist levels and make relevant recommendations on balancing long term preservation against access to the collections, and ensure the accuracy of the associated electronic databases.
- Work as part of a project team to provide expert advice in the design and development of public display and public education programs and answer enquiries from both public and professional groups.
- Liaise with and provide advice to the other areas in the museum, professional bodies, other groups outside the museum and the Director on relevant issues.
- Participate in public relations, media and institutional fundraising and awareness campaigns to promote the Queensland Museum and the Program’s results and activities.
- Contribute to the safety culture of QMN by reporting all incidents and hazards and ensuring work is undertaken in the safest way possible, following all QMN WHS policies/procedures and guidelines relevant to the job. Undertake all relevant responsibilities identified in the QMN WHS Accountabilities and Responsibilities Matrix
Your application for this role will remain current for 12 months.
For more information or to apply visit JobsQld.