Senior Lighting Technician – MAAS
|Closing date:||November 4, 2018|
|Institution:||Museum of Applied Arts & Sciences|
|Salary:||$102,003. Package includes salary ($83,403 - $92,026), employer's contribution to superannuation and annual leave loading|
|Location :||Sydney Region-Sydney - Inner West|
|Contact name:||Joanne Delzoppo, Exhibitions Manager, 0292170239|
|Contact email:||Not supplied yet.|
The Museum of Applied Arts and Sciences (MAAS) is an executive agency of the New South Wales State Government. Embodying the best of design ingenuity and innovation, the Museum profiles one of the world’s great collections and is a highly successful interdisciplinary institution that sits at the intersection of the arts, design, science and technology and plays a critical role in supporting the brand and vision of the city.
MAAS currently operates three sites, the Powerhouse Museum in Ultimo, Sydney Observatory in Millers Point and Museums Discovery Centre in Castle Hill. In April 2018, the NSW Government announced the largest investment in museum infrastructure in Australia’s history, which will enable MAAS to expand its operations, and will ensure the Museum and its collection remain a critical part of our local and global communities for centuries to come.
A new, world-class flagship MAAS campus will be built in Parramatta, opening in 2023, and the Museums Discovery Centre will be expanded by 35%. Further planning is also underway for cultural spaces at Ultimo, which include a MAAS-led design and fashion museum.
An opportunity has arisen for a Senior Lighting Technician to join our Production team. In this role you will utilise your knowledge and skills of lighting design and technical expertise to enable museum and gallery spaces to be optimally illuminated whether for guidance and orientation, creating atmosphere or conserving Objects. Day to day, you will:
- Deliver and manage the implementation of lighting Design, Installation and Maintenance in Object sensitive areas for Exhibitions at MAAS
- Collaborate on the design, plan and implement the exhibition lighting of permanent, temporary or touring exhibitions
- Supervise and lead lighting staff and contractors to ensure project delivery within the exhibition deadlines and budgets
- Develop and document all stages of the lighting design process including lighting and basic electrical plans, preliminary design and if required 3D renderings or sketches
- Work in collaboration with Conservation to ensure Lighting Design is meeting international and Australian Museum Conservation Standards
- Provide expert advice about lighting design, lighting levels and equipment
- Ongoing asset maintenance, stocktaking and documentation of Lighting equipment
- Keeping up to date with sustainable practices, their implementation, equipment and new evolving technologies
- Research and provide equipment recommendations for lighting purposes within exhibitions
Those joining the MAAS team at this time will be given a career-defining opportunity to work on a project will which will break new ground in the way museums do business.
To be successful in this role you will have:
- Qualifications in Lighting Design or relevant work experience with a proven experience in Museum, Art Gallery or Theatrical Lighting and working knowledge of international conservation guidelines and relevant codes of practice relating to the building industry.
- Knowledge of programs such as Vectorworks, AutoCAD, Word and Excel. The ability to use standard software and learn in house systems is also required.
- Demonstrated ability to articulate, create and direct a high-quality lighting design approach within the Museum to complement each of our Exhibitions and support our visitor Experience
Construction White Card
- Drivers licence.
For more information or to apply visit: JobsNSW.
The Council of Australasian Museum Directors cannot take responsibility for the accuracy of the information given in the Positions Vacant listings. Please click through to the website of the museum advertising the position to check details and seek updates.