Team Leader Digitisation – MAAS
|Closing date:||April 11, 2021|
|Institution:||Museum of Applied Arts and Sciences|
|Salary:||$115,872. Package includes salary ($87,431 - $104,539), employer's contribution to superannuation and annual leave loading|
|Location :||Sydney Region / Sydney - Inner West|
|Contact name:||Meredith Lynch Underwood|
The Museum of Applied Arts and Sciences sits at the intersection of the arts, design, science and technology and plays a critical role in engaging communities with contemporary ideas and issues. Established in 1879, the museum includes the Powerhouse Museum, Sydney Observatory and the Museums Discovery Centre. The Museum is custodian to over half a million objects of national and international significance and is considered one of the finest and most diverse collections in Australia.
The Powerhouse Program is one of the largest cultural infrastructure projects currently being undertaken in the country. The Program will transform and renew one of Australia’s oldest and most important cultural institutions and carry forward its legacy to reflect the changing needs of the contemporary communities of NSW. The Program includes four key projects; the establishment of the Powerhouse Precinct at Parramatta, the expansion of the Powerhouse collection facilities in Castle Hill, the establishment of the Powerhouse Creative Industries Precinct in Ultimo and the Relocation and Digitisation of over 300,000 objects from the Powerhouse collections.
An exciting opportunity has arisen for a Team Leader Digitisation (Registrar Grade 1) to lead a project team working on the preparation of the collection for digitisation and relocation to the Museums Discovery Centre.
Reporting to the Project Manager (Digitisation), in this role you will
- Assist the Project Manager (Digitisation) with relevant operational planning and reporting for the Digitisation Phase of the Collection Relocation.
- In partnership with the Collection Digitisation Coordinator, supervise staff to ensure a high level of collection management practice and a culture of optimal external and internal customer service.
- Collaborate with the project team on digitisation matters to assist in driving all approaches to digitisation
- Contribute to and administer to the Museum’s collection and collection-based information systems according to professional museum standards, and NSW regulatory requirements, including, but not limited to, collection management, documentation and cataloguing, processing, access, storage, movement and transport of objects, and creating and maintaining records for these.
- Ensure the safety, security, location control, and maintenance of objects on display and in storage.
- Contribute to the coordination for audit, valuation, insurance, collection copyright, and legal matters relating to the collection.
- Ensure statutory and legislative requirements are adhered to and effective risk management procedures are in place.
The successful candidate
To be successful in this role you will have;
- Demonstrated ability to plan, schedule, and manage projects, allied with excellent organisation skills and attention to detail.
- Knowledge and experience of collection information systems, barcoding, and digital photography, including solution development and implementation.
- Sound knowledge and experience in museum collection management and documentation, including storage and exhibition processes.
- Experience in the handling, packing, transport, and storage of all types of museum objects, to professional museum level, and sound knowledge of national and international freight procedures.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to prepare high-quality documentation and reports.
- Demonstrated understanding of risk management and disaster preparedness.
- Ability to prioritise and meet project deadlines within budget.
- Ability to work across all MAAS sites as required
For more information or to apply visit: JobsNSW.
The Council of Australasian Museum Directors cannot take responsibility for the accuracy of the information given in the Positions Vacant listings. Please click through to the website of the museum advertising the position to check details and seek updates.