The Sovereign Hill Museums Association is a not-for-profit community-based organisation that includes: Sovereign Hill Outdoor Museum, Sovereign Hill Hotel, AURA and Narmbool, the Australian Centre for Rare Trades and Arts and the Australian Centre for Gold Rush Collections. It cares for a nationally and internationally significant collection of over 150,000 objects and protects the tangible and intangible cultural heritage of the Victorian gold rush.
We are an Australian tourism icon that attracts some 500,000 visitors annually. The Outdoor Museum is of international renown as a living museum featuring rare trades, and programs and experiences that interpret a pivotal point in Australia’s history. In all, some 350 staff work to bring our goldrush story to life. They are supported by over 250 volunteers.
About the role:
As Tour Guide – Mine & Surface, your role is to entertain, inform and engage visitors through the delivery and operation of thematic tours in the Sovereign Hill Museum Association underground mine and on the surface of the Outdoor Museum. The Tour Guide role brings to life the interpretation of Deep Lead and Quartz Mining from the local and surrounding areas, as well as stories from life in the newly formed gold rush town of Ballarat. Tour Guides work under the direction of the Manager Mine, Guides, AURA and Evening to deliver these themes with relevance and context to our visitors during their visit to our Museum, while maintaining and comprehending Sovereign Hill OHS workplace standards.
To be successful you will need to have the following:
- Ability to work across flexible rosters including weekdays, weekends, public holidays and school holidays
- Excellent customer service skills
- Excellent verbal communications skills
- Demonstrated cash-handling skills
- Ability to safely operate in an underground environment
- Some knowledge and understanding of mining history and processes would be advantageous
- Presenting/Public Speaking/Interpreting/Guiding experience is preferred but not essential
- Previous experience within a tourism or customer service environment would be highly regarded
- Applicants must be over 18 years of age to work in our underground Mine.
The successful applicant will be required to carry an employee Working with Children’s Check and undergo a Police Check. A pre-employment medical is also required.
Sovereign Hill welcomes, encourages and endorses applications from diverse backgrounds and provides equal opportunities to all who wish to apply.
For more information or to apply visit our website.