International Year of Biodiversity
In 2010 CAMD undertook a national program of activities across Australia as part of the United Nation’s International Year of Biodiversity (IYB). CAMD was awarded $300,000 funding by the Science Connections Program (SCOPE) within the Department of Industry, Innovation, Science and Research (DIISR) to act as a framework coordinate, develop and deliver programs and events to celebrate IYB.
The project, which was spearheaded by the Australian Museum, Western Australian Museum and Questacon:
- employed coordinators to bring together an Australian-wide program which challenged people to make use of their local museums to find out about and take an active role in relation to biodiversity
- provided seed funding of $144,000 to help science organisations and community groups establish programs exploring biodiversity in collaboration with local museums
- allowed engagement with these communities through a broad range of mediums including theatre, storytelling, exhibitions, art, poetry, presentations and field observation and collection
- created an Australian IYB website to act as an interactive hub for program listing and information/event sharing and
- utilised social media such as Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and Twitter to encourage a broader participation.
For further information see the CAMD IYB website: